About this Event
During this live online experience, we’ll visit many of New York’s iconic holiday sites, explore its seasonal traditions, and learn how the city created fundamental aspects of our modern American Christmas. Enjoy the festive atmosphere of NYC from your home!
• Macy’s Herald Square, the inspiration for Miracle on 34th Street and birthplace of many holiday shopping traditions.
• Hear how NYC’s writers, artists and immigrants created countless American holiday traditions, including Christmas trees, classic Christmas songs, and the ubiquitous jolly Santa Claus.
• We’ll stop by a historic synagogue to explore NYC’s Chanukah traditions. And we’ll discover the way people celebrate Kwanzaa, Three Kings Day and a variety of New Year’s celebrations.
• Learn about Bryant Park’s annual Winter Village, marvel at the glittering scene and hear about the park’s sordid past.
• See the center of the city’s holiday celebration: Rockefeller Center, Radio City Music Hall and the Rockettes.
• Explore the roots of traditions such as Saks Fifth Avenue’s animated windows, the dazzling Channel Gardens decorations, the towering Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree, and FAO Schwarz Toy Store.
We’ll explore New York’s historic holiday tales, traditions, and contemporary holiday spectacles and you’ll learn why NYC is America’s quintessential holiday destination.
Led by Bowery Boys Walk guide Jeff Dobbins, who has written over 150 articles about NYC history and culture and created many specialized tours of New York City.
Ticket sales end at 4pm on December 9, 2020. Link to program will be sent with confirmation
Due to the nature of this event, we do not anticipate any sensory issues. We suggest keeping your volume and brightness levels accessible.